Sunday 1 March 2015

Villefranche-sur-Mer encore

The reason for my return to France and Villefranche-sur-Mer in particular, is to resume learning the French language. As I had suggested in previous blogs, I have committed to another month of school at the Institut de Français. More details about the school will follow, but today I want to tell you about "my new digs". Right now, I am sipping a glass of red wine, munching on Roquefort cheese and crackers and looking out my window over the Mediterranean. 

This is my view... 
...and this is the orange tree outside my door. I hope I can eat some of those oranges.
I digress which is not hard to do here. This morning I went to some of my favourite grocery stores in Nice to pick up some provisions for the first few days. Because I had so much "stuff", I decided to take a taxi to Villefranche-sur-Mer and I'm glad I did. First, we had to stop at one house which was a bit tricky to find to pick up information and keys to my apt. Then, the driver drove up the steep hill to my studio apartment where I will be living over the next month. Luckily he carried my 70 lb. suitcase while I lugged my groceries and knapsack to the door. 

The entrance to the villa.
The exterior of my apt. with the orange tree in front.
Once inside, I spent the next couple of hours putting things away and generally settling in. It always feels good to me to get unpacked and organized for the days ahead. Here are a few pictures of my temporary home:

Ma petite cuisine - there is no oven, but there is a clothes washer and a dishwasher. It also has two burners, a microwave and a small fridge. What more could a girl ask for?
Mon lit
La salle de bain est grande
La télévision dans une armoire
The sitting area. Actually I am sitting at this table as I write.
After unpacking, I went to find out where the school was located. Lo and behold, it is literally next door. It will take about a minute or two to get there. I begin in earnest tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m. with testing to determine my appropriate level for learning. After that, I will be in school for 8 1/2 hrs. per day five days a week for the next month. Needless to say, there will be little time to travel, but I will keep you abreast of any news. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment