Monday 2 March 2015

My first day at Institut de Français

So far, so good! Everything I heard today made me think that I made the right choice to return to France and study at this school. Today, and for today only, English was spoken so that we clearly understood the rules, the methodology, the test questions and the expectations over the next month. As of tomorrow, only French can be used. Any infraction will result in a 2 euro fine which goes toward a champagne party at the end of the term. The program of teaching here has been especially designed for adults using oral language as the basic instrument to learn French. Even texts, phone calls, e-mails etc. in one's native language can interrupt the immersion process. In addition to the 8 1/2 hrs per day of instruction, there are extracurricular activities planned to enhance our language learning experience. 

We began the day with breakfast including home-made marmelade or confiture made from the oranges grown on the property. After breakfast, we participated in a battery of tests to best determine our level and placement. The results of the tests and our placement will be shared with us tomorrow morning. Here is the test booklet. They made an error - can you guess what it is?
There were tests for both written and oral comprehension. Afterwards, we were called individually to spend time with a prof so he/she could evaluate our oral expression. She showed me a series of pictures and I had to explain to her in French what was happening in each picture. At the end, she asked me to elaborate on some of my explanations. I didn't find the tests particularly difficult or nerve wracking. All the profs were very funny and very kind and put you at ease.

This is a picture of Le Grand Salon at the school where students were getting a chance to know one another while waiting for their turn to be called for the personal evaluation. Take note of the age of the students. For once, I wasn't the oldest. I fit right in!
By the time all the tests were completed and each of us had made a visit to the business office to pay for our tuition and lodging, it was time for lunch. I can see why they say you gain kilo for every week you are here. First course was a wonderful carrot soup, followed by chicken with grilled vegetables and polenta cubes...
... and potatoes, green beans and a sauce for those who were interested. Just to be clear, it looks like wine in the glasses, but it was only apple juice or water served in them. C'est dommage!
 
To end the meal, Natalie, the chef and her staff served crème brulée with pistachios. Everything was superb!
The rest of the afternoon was spent discussing the aforementioned program of instruction, methodology etc. The last item on the agenda was a cup of tea served informally giving us yet another opportunity to meet other students. I met people from the USA including a few from Alaska, Norway, England, Monaco, Australia, Romania and Canada. On the way back from school, I also met my neighbour and fellow student, a lawyer from Boulder, Colorado. I invited him to join me for a glass of wine and we sat out on the deck in 20 degree weather overlooking the Mediterranean. All in all, it was a very good start to what I hope proves to be a positive and rewarding experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment