Monday 9 September 2013

Jolly Olde England

You may wonder what England has to do with my French adventures, but as I alluded to in my previous post, it was part of my plan. Not only did I want to visit my relatives while I was in this part of the world, I also wanted to get over jet lag before going to school. 

The flight over was uneventful and very pleasant. I even managed to rest and doze so that I wasn't exhausted when I arrived. My cousin Mick met me at Heathrow airport and kindly brought the van to accommodate my oversized luggage. Mick, Linda and their family live in Rowlands Castle, Hampshire which is a charming village one and a half hours by car south of London. The first night, we meandered to the local pub, the Castle, for a superb meal - I had lamb shank with a pint of the finest and a glass of red. By the time we got home, I was ready for bed. With the help of a sleeping pill, I slept over 13 hours even though I was up a few times during the night. By the next day, I felt pretty good. Since then, we have taken a drive through the countryside stopping at lookout points to take photos. Today, Linda had to work so Mick and I went to Chichester to check out some of the shops, architecture and enjoy a pot of tea at the Cathedral's tea shop.

Mick is an excellent cook and is busy preparing coq au vin for dinner. I was supposed to be the sous  chef, but have been shirking my duties while calling my relatives to arrange a meal out. It is a bit like "herding  cats" trying to coordinate schedules. It seems now, that we have a date for Thursday at the Rising Sun Pub in Swanmore. I best get back to the kitchen - the smell of the coq au vin is intoxicating!






No comments:

Post a Comment