Tuesday 17 September 2013

Impressions,Observations and Insights so far....

My host Patricia is lovely. I think I "lucked out" after talking to a couple of other students whose experiences have been less positive. I will be living here for the next six months so I am delighted that we get along. Because my French is so limited, it is difficult to hold a conversation of any substance, but somehow we seem to manage. I think that's a result of her patience and experience living with students learning French. I love the house too (pictures attached). It was an old granary now converted into a two apartment home. Patricia lives in one and her 85 yr. old father, Joseph, lives in the other. From the street, you walk up a circular staircase to get to the living area. The apartment is made of stone, exposed wooden beams and worn polished beautiful stone floors. The main floor has an open plan with a kitchen, pantry and eating area. There is also an area with a lounge and computer and a sitting room with another lounge and television. The bathroom is also on the main floor. You walk up another set of stairs to the bedrooms. My room is well appointed with plenty of storage, a big desk and a double bed. What more could a girl ask for! It seems that I have asked for more and Patricia is more than accommodating. I inquired if she had a few more hangars. She didn't, but the next day she went shopping and there they were hanging on the rod when I got home from school. I also asked to use her iron to press my wrinkled clothes from the suitcase. I brought them downstairs, put them on the ironing board and went to have a quick shower. When I came out Patricia had ironed most of them and insisted on pressing the rest. She cooks well and prepares healthy, fresh food - salad every night with delicious homemade dressing, plenty of vegetables and tasty mains. All of the meals are accompanied by the renowned French baguette. To date, she hasn't even let me do any of the dishes. I think I could get used to being so pampered.

Montpellier has an interesting tram system. Apparently, an artist created the different colours and designs for cars on the 4 lines. Consequently, it is very easy to recognize which tram you need to take. I have had no problem getting around on the tram except for purchasing my pass. Yesterday, I went to the main office where you have to purchase the pass (une carte). I waited an hour and a half because the queue was so long. When I told Patricia about it, she said it was likely because it was the first day of school with many students in line for the same thing as me. I didn't have much choice but to wait as I need the pass to get around this city. It only lasts for a month, but I can reload it at a local Tabac which is far less busy. This is definitely a city for getting around on public transport and by foot. I certainly wouldn't own a car if I lived here permanently. I'd just rent one if I wanted to get away for a weekend or holiday. Before I arrived here, I thought about buying a bicycle to get around, but now I'm not so sure. Most of the roadways are taken up by the trams with small lanes for small cars and motorbikes. In the old city, pedestrians fill the roads. Some people do ride bikes, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough to yet. 

On my travels by foot and tram, I have noticed a few things. There seems to be a lot of graffiti everywhere with the exception of some of the old buildings in the city centre. Many homeless live here - good choice- and many of them have dogs. Of course, and this won't be news to most of you, everyone smokes and smoke everywhere. I think there are some restrictions in indoor restaurants, but most are outdoor cafes (terrasses) where you can light up without a problem. I'll have to ask Patricia about some of these things over dinner.

When I first made the decision to move here for an extended period of time, it seemed like such a romantic and exciting notion. Now that my feet are firmly planted on French soil, I recognize that this was a rather courageous undertaking. Here I am in another country far away from family, friends and supports. I don't speak the language and everything is new. I am so pleased and relieved every time I accomplish something whether it is ordering lunch in French or buying a mobile phone (which I did today). This experience has certainly forced me to step out of my comfort zone and I think I will be a better person for doing it. 

Before I sign off today, I just wanted to thank family and friends for reading my blog, sending me comments and emails or connecting with me by Skype and Face Time. Your contact is so important to me and I miss you all. Next post, I'll tell you all about my French classes. 

My room. I even have a sky light that opens.


The front entrance and part of the kitchen - note the round stone wall and exposed beams

The small window on the left was used to unload the grain into the building.

Love those floors!

No comments:

Post a Comment