Tuesday 10 September 2013

English Food

There is a widespread belief that English food is not very good. That certainly has not been my experience anytime I have visited here. Generally, I eat pub fare - Ploughman's lunch is one of my favourites. Now that I am being wined and dined at my cousin's home, I can definitely say the food is top rate. Mike is a serious vegetarian and has been for years. He is also the main chef at home. Despite his vegetarian preferences, he cooks for the family (and me) which are carnivores. I shared the picture of his Coq au vin last post and it really was exquisite. What I find most intriguing is that Mike cooks from scratch, usually without a recipe, and does not taste the food if there is any meat/fish product in it. Everything he has cooked to date has been delicious and perfectly seasoned. Quite a skill I think.

Today, we went for lunch to a very old pub called the Red Lion in Chalton, circa 1147. It is one of those charming country pubs with a thatched roof and idyllic view. I ordered the Ploughman's with a lovely glass of New Zealand Sauvignon blanc. Portions were huge, but the food was excellent.

Southern rural England is so beautiful, green, lush and pastoral. The villages are quaint and for the most part very pretty. The pubs are the mainstay of most villages and struggling to remain viable. We went out last night to a nearby pub called the Fountain to enjoy a pint and listen to the live music. Unfortunately, we learned that the lease is up and Herbie, the owner, is leaving. Legend has it that he played with Van Morrison and receives royalties for the song "Under the Boardwalk" which he apparently co-wrote. He ended his set with that song last night. People in the pub were rather disappointed to hear about the demise of this pub as it has provided a venue for many up and coming musicians to hone their skills.

Tomorrow, a group of 14 of us are going to another pub for dinner, also called the Red Lion. Most are relatives, so it will be interesting to catch up on their news. 

On a side note, I heard again from my host family in France to confirm my arrival arrangements. There are only a few days left here before I leave. I'll make the most of it. 

I hope you enjoy the pictures of some of the sights from southern England.

This is the inside of the Red Lion pub.

My Ploughman's lunch.


Stansted House

No comments:

Post a Comment