Saturday 9 November 2013

Toulouse

It was dark outside when I left this morning and there were very few people on the street as I walked to the tram. Now the sun is up and shining and I am on the train heading for Toulouse. I wish I could take some pictures of the French countryside to share with you, but the train moves too quickly. You'll just have to take my word for it when I tell you the countryside is pretty darned nice. My travel companion, below, was also a delight and very well behaved. His owner was a lovely woman who lives and works in Carcassone. She and I managed to strike up a conversation in French and before I knew it, the conductor was announcing our arrival in Toulouse.
Toulouse, like Montpellier, is a university city with many students. However, it is larger than Montpellier and in my opinion much cleaner. The shops, restaurants, cafes and streets were filled with people and the energy was palpable. I started my visit, as I tend to do, at the Tourist Office in the City Centre to get a map and plan my route. Here is the fountain just behind the tourist office.
Although I had visited Toulouse briefly with Keith and Trev quite a few years ago, I couldn't remember alot about it. Before I left Montpellier, I made an itinerary to capitalize on the brief time I had here. With map in hand, I headed toward the Marché Victor Hugo. This market place was huge and bustling. It also had a few "gross" things for sale. Case in point:

Next stop, the Basilique St-Sernin. I had read about this church in several travel forums and a few blogs. Much to my surprise, there was a "vide grenier" or yard sale all around the perimeter of the church. The first person I saw and heard was this young fellow playing guitar and singing a Bob Dylan tune. Here is his picture and a few of the church. 



From there I walked to the Place du Capitole. The Capitolium was decorated with flags to honour Armistice Day, November 11.
Then, I made my way to the Couvent des Jacobins. The most remarkable feature about this church was the ceiling. Take note.

By this point I had worked up an appetite. The speciality in Toulouse is cassoulet so I wanted to find a restaurant that served this dish. There were several and eventually I settled on a quaint place tucked away on side street called the Coq Hardi.
The fabulous entrée was a warm salad made with fèves au lard (broad beans and bacon)
This was followed by the plat - cassoulet Toulousain (although very good, I did not finish it)
Dessert was Panna Cotta and it was excellent. Eat you heart out Trev! (Trevor is my brother and loves this dessert) I did finish it. 

This wonderful meal, as usual, was accompanied by a glass of tasty red wine. 

By the time I left the restaurant, the sun had disappeared and the clouds had moved in. It was cool, but pleasant. Needless to say, I had to walk off a few of those calories from lunch so I wandered up and down the pedestrian streets and in and out of some of the shops on my way to the Pont Neuf over the Garonne River. 
Pont Neuf et La Garonne
There was a beautiful vine covered wall on the other side of the bridge.
By now, you know that I can't resist taking pictures of flowers. I thought these berries were particularly appealing.
I had also read about a place that served good coffee "Saveurs Des Tropiques" (unfortunately, I cut off the shop name in the picture) so that is where I decided to stop mid afternoon. It was "just hopping" and the coffee was excellent.
As with all good things, this day too had to come to an end. Toulouse is a lovely city with lots to see and do. It is clean and the people I talked to were very kind and friendly. The city centre is filled with interesting shops and excellent restaurants, bars and cafes. Well worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood!

4 comments:

  1. Jan! That panacotta looks absolutely divine. I love the pictures of food almost as much as all of the other pics you are posting - you are definitely eating well! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good and indeed I am eating well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are conversing in French with other people, must be encouraging. Keith is coming for dinner on Wednesday and it won't be as exotic as casoulet but will do my best. Another day at Greenland for me. Very busy and as usual I come home covered in glitter. Oh well, the house sparkles. Still continue to love reading your blog, cheers, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy dinner on Wednesday among the sparkles and glitter. It sounds like you are enjoying Greenland. Keith tells me it is just "hopping" these days. Thanks for following my blog and sharing your comments.

    ReplyDelete