Wednesday 20 November 2013

Musings


When you first visit or move to a place, just like when you first fall in love, everything is beautiful. When I  arrived here I fell in love with the architecture, the food, the history, the moderate climate and the language. I liked the people too. Montpellians seem to be very liberal, open and tolerant of differences like racial and sexual minorities or homeless persons called SDF (sans domicile fixe).  Most have been kind and very polite. The other day in class, we learned how to use the phone in France and there are so many rules of politeness that I decided I won't be calling anybody for awhile, at least in France. Even at the grocery store, the conversation between the cashier and the customer is very cordial. 

After awhile of living here however, just like in a relationship, you start to notice some of the "warts".  I've written about a few of them in previous blogs. Perhaps the thing I find most offensive and also most surprising is the fact that Southeast France (particularly the cities) is dirty and smelly with garbage, cigarette butts, urine, spit and dog excrement. I daren't lift my head when I walk for fear I might step in something untoward. I'm not the only one - this tends to be a frequent topic of discussion in my classes. Apparently, although I've not yet seen it, there is a scooter with a vacuum specifically designed to scoop up the "crottes de chien".  This doesn't seem to be as big an issue in some of the other cities and villages that I've visited like Toulouse or Lyon, but it is a big problem here and in Marseille. 

My relationship with Montpellier is still quite new and I have to admit the good bits overshadow the rest, just as in most relationships. I can still look at flowers and palm trees in November. Beautiful, historical buildings, monuments and fountains are all around me. The grocer I pass every morning on my way to school nods, smiles and says "Bonjour Madame". The public transport is efficient. My school is excellent and so far my profs have been great. I have found a few restaurants that I frequent at lunch where the food is consistent, well priced and delicious. I am not far from the beach and the train service to nearby towns and cities is affordable and efficient.  Best of all, I live in a very comfortable home with a warm, funny, kind and helpful host. In the scheme of things, life is good! 

Other brief observations:
Unlike Canada, where 77% of people don't smoke, most people here do and they seem to start smoking at a very young age. Smoking laws are much more liberal. The majority of people tend to buy tobacco and roll their own with papers and funny looking filters (to me that is). 

The garbage in front of the Roma camp I talked about previously has been cleared by the city. It looks like there may be some construction on the site in the near future. I wonder what will happen to the Romas.

You can still buy coloured toilet paper here.

There are many homeless people and most of them are young.

Dogs are allowed everywhere - in restaurants, bars, trams, trains etc. I can get my "dog fix" most days. Leashes are optional, but are required if you take your animal on public transport or into stores and restaurants.

Eggs sold here are not refrigerated. Even Patricia doesn't keep them in the fridge.

The cheese is outstanding - the best in the world. There are different varieties in every region.

Baguettes vary in quality. I love the artisanal variety with a crunchy crust and an interior that is light, flavourful and not gummy. I doubt I will learn how to make a baguette because everyone buys them. Boulangeries open early and a baguette costs less than a euro. You couldn't make one at home for that price.

Most everyone wears scarves of all types, colours and sizes all year - men, women and children. 
(Side note: I bought a warm scarf to wear at le vide grenier in Celleneuve for 50 centimes - the equivalent of about 70 cents Canadian. It has been getting a lot of use this last week because it has been cold)

The wine I've tried so far is very good and very affordable.

Food, for the most part, is extraordinary.

I have so much to learn!

Thank you for reading my blog. I actually like writing it and so enjoy hearing from others with their perceptions. When you are away from family and friends, it is nice to find out what people have been up to. It is the everyday "stuff" that I enjoy - things like what you did or thought about this week at work and at play.  It keeps me connected to you and that is what really matters when you are living on the other side of the world. À bientôt ....


No comments:

Post a Comment