Monday 18 November 2013

8th week of school in Montpellier, France

I realize I haven't talked much about the reason I am here for quite awhile, so this entry will be devoted to school. I wish I could say I was fluent and could understand everything that is said, but sadly that is not the case. Presently, I am in my 8th week of the standard course at ILA. There are 8-10 students in the class and we have 3 hours of instruction every morning. The prof is great. She speaks clearly, softly and slowly and has taught us some very helpful tips. The program is the same as what I have described in previous posts - grammar lessons - things like verb tenses, demonstrative and possessive adjectives, adverbs, use of pronouns etc., exercises to practice reading and writing, oral language skills, vocabulary, games etc. We usually have some homework to do which I work on in the afternoons. I also purchased a couple of additional grammar manuals that have lessons and exercises to complete. Naturally, I had to buy the answer guides as well to be sure I was completing the exercises correctly. In addition, I downloaded a program called Duolingo that Keith told me about. I have been working through the lessons, but at times it makes me angry. Online programs do have their hiccups. I also found a few others on my own that I have used to augment my language aquistion. 

Most students advance after 6 weeks in each level, but I have decided to stay where I am for the time being. I missed the first level all together (A1 for absolute beginners 4-6 weeks). I started at the second level (A2 Beginner) and only had 4 weeks there. Now I am in what they call Intermediate B1. If I remain there until Christmas, I think I will have a solid foundation in the grammar and hopefully more time to improve my oral skills and comprehension. After all, I have 3 months left when I come back. The students in levels C1 and C2 are preparing for university. I'm not gunning for university - I just want to be able to read a menu, talk to someone in French and be understood. 

A few interesting things have happened recently. A new gent started in my class today. He happens to be around my age and comes from Vancouver, Canada. He speaks French like I do - with a Canadian accent. As a matter of fact several of the more mature students I've met that are Canadian, including me, speak in a similar way. I don't know whether it is our age or our culture or what. We might develop a decent vocabulary and get a handle on the grammar, but I'm convinced that we will never sound very French. Articles I have read confirm that once you are an adult, it is much more difficult to acquire a native accent. However, sounding good and being understood are two different things and I am really striving for the latter.

On my trip to Lyon last weekend, I met the most delightful woman who sat beside me on the train. I wish that she didn't work because I would love to meet her regularly just to chat en français. She was around my age and had the same sensibilities. She was very patient with me as I struggled to find words and then kindly corrected my pronunciation or verb conjugation. We conversed for over an hour and the time just flew by. At this point, I think that is the best way to learn - just get out there and talk to French people. Conversing with fellow students isn't quite as helpful because they are in the same boat as me. My mission this week is to try and find someone to meet with for coffee a couple of times a week to "shoot the breeze" en français. Patricia is fabulous, but I am sure it must be fatiguing for her to listen to me all the time.  I am also thinking about signing up for a few one on one lessons with a prof from the school. The sessions are very expensive, but they might be worth it. It is something I am going to think about over the next while.  

I definitely know more French than when I arrived so I reckon anything I take away from this experience is a bonus. Although I did have an attitude adjustment and decided to fret less and enjoy more, it is still nice to have a cheering team of support. Thanks to my family and friends in Canada, England, USA and Germany for your kind words of encouragement. They are always appreciated.  I look forward to hearing from you anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment