Saturday 22 March 2014

"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks"

Six months of French classes are over. My last class of students reminded me very much of an old American sitcom called Welcome Back Kotter. We had these four young lads who really weren't interested in learning French even when they did show up to class. We also had a stereotypical "ditzy" kind of gal, a girl from Japan who really struggled with the language and then a few older, more mature students. Our skillful prof really earned her money with our motley crew. 

As you know, if you've read my blog, I've had my ups and downs at school. I'm pleased to say that despite my last class of students, I ended on a positive note. I think I made some headway with the language in the last couple of weeks, but I am far from fluent. In retrospect, and I wrote this in my evaluation to the school, I think I would have done much better if I had had a more solid foundation upon which to build. The formula of moving students from one level to the next after six weeks whether or not they were ready did not work for me. Had I remained at the beginning levels to really master very elementary, but essential competencies, I think I would have done much better. However, without basics like the French alphabet, numbers, pronunciation, how to ask questions etc., I struggled. New students every week and frequent changes in profs didn't enhance my learning either. I think a more consistent environment with like minded students would have been beneficial too. Regardless, it was a wonderful experience even with the struggles. I met so many interesting and different people from all over the world. I've written about some of them in previous blogs and here are a few more.

This is Maria and yours truly in front of one of my favourite spots to have lunch. Maria is a lovely girl from Bogata, Columbia. She was also an excellent French student and may return to the Sorbonne or one of the other universities in France to study engineering.
Every Thursday, I would meet Sarah (second from the right) to practice my French. She was originally from Martinique, but has lived in Montpellier since she was 15. Jeffrey is from England and he was in one of my classes before Christmas. He is now working in Montpellier. Adele is a student at ILA and comes from Zambia.
Jonathan and his wife Sheena are from Scotland. Both of them were students at ILA in December and have returned to Montpellier to live for a couple of months. They plan to hire a private tutor to pursue their language learning.
James from England and my good friends Maija,(left), originally from Finland, now living in Montpellier with her husband and Marianne, from Finland.
Last, but certainly not least, Patricia and her cousin Carole seated here on a little terrace a minute from where we lived. These two women have become very good friends. On a side note, I saw several movies at the Cinema Nestor Burma in the background.
After my last class, Keith and Brian arrived by train from Paris and I met them at the station. I can't tell you how  good it was to see them after all this time!  We spent the afternoon showing walking the streets of the old city taking in some of the highlights of this beautiful city. including a beer on the patio.
That night, we took Patricia out for the "last supper". Our last night in Montpellier.

Tomorrow, we are off to Provence. Stay posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment