Tuesday 11 March 2014

L'Espagne Day 3

Gemma told me to be ready to leave about 10:00 a.m for an outing to a coastal fishing village. Knowing Gemma, I figured I had plenty of time to wander down to the end of my street to sit in the sunshine and enjoy a cup of coffee and croissant. What a wonderful way to pass the time. Eventually Gemma called and she and her boyfriend, Xavier, picked me up for the day's excursion. We only made it as far as the Platja del Bogatell (one of the beaches) in Barcelona before Gemma suggested we stop for a coffee. It was a good idea to bask in the sun for awhile.
The view from our table looking out onto the Mediterranean.
On the road again.... this time we drove northeast through some beautiful countryside to the small coastal town called Calella de Palafrugell. It was small, charming and smelled heavenly - clean and fresh. 
We spent the first hour or so just sitting on one of the large rocks overlooking the water watching the people, boats and fish. The water was clear and you could see the sea urchins just below us on a rock ledge.
Several people were gutsy enough to go swiming and snorkelling in the frigid waters - not me!
View of the village from the vantage point on the rock.
After awhile, our stomachs began to complain, so we looked for a restaurant on the water's edge to enjoy a mid afternoon meal of good seafood. Gemma ordered the sea urchins and the small fried fish. I must admit I couldn't bring myself to try one the sea urchins. Xavier liked them, but Gemma wasn't as keen.
However, she did like the shells as eyewear.
I ordered the sea bass which was excellent and Xavier had the Dorado which was also superb.
This was the bottle of wine we enjoyed with our meal as recommended by Xavier - a delicious blend of garnacha, syrah and merlot. We spent a couple of hours in the sun simply enjoying the scenery, food, wine and one another's company. It really was one of those "bon moments". 
Once we were replete, we got back into the car and went inland to the small medieval town of Peratellada which literally means "carved stone". It dates back to the 11th century and is known for its stone buildings, passageways and rutted streets. I thought it was just beautiful. You can decide for yourself as you look at the pictures below.


This picture is of the Keep which includes the tower and the wall built to defend the village.
Needless to say, we stopped here for a beverage in the small town square before walking back through the village to the car.

Night was drawing near, but my companions wanted me to see the city centre of Girona. Girona is the capital of the province of Girona in Catalan. As we drove into the outskirts of the city, I was not impressed by what I saw. However, once we parked the car and walked into the centre of town, I was absolutely gobsmacked. It was stunnning by night. Unfortunately, my camera does not capture great pictures at night, so you will just have take my word for it.

The Cathedral of Girona 
The photo below is of one of the pedestrian streets in the city centre. As you can see, it is a "happening place". Wouldn't it be nice to see downtown streets in Edmonton lined with outdoor cafes, restaurants, independent shops and filled with people?
By this time, we were all pretty worn out and it was time to head back to Barcelona. Again, I had a terrific day! Thanks Gemma and Xavier for making it possible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment